The New Zealand Government energy safety website provides helpful information to keep you safe around electricity.
Here are some tips to get you started.
- Never mix electricity and water – don’t use appliances in the bathroom unless they are designed for such areas of the home
- Occasionally check your appliances for damaged or worn cables
- Don’t overload your power points – avoid using adaptors if you can
- Keep away from exposed or damaged cables in your house – contact your electrician if you have doubts
- Don’t fly kites or similar toys near power lines
- Be careful chopping or pruning trees near power lines – if in doubt contact your lines company
- Keep away from fallen power poles – report these to your lines company immediately